Witchysisterhood - Pagansuperstars

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working with Water

2 posters

Go down

Working with Water Empty Working with Water

Post by Cassie Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Water is a big thing in my practice and I just wanted to open a topic to discuss how we may use water in our practices-for spirit work/divination/workings/ect.
Cassie
Cassie

Back to top Go down

Working with Water Empty A Connection Between Water & Spirits

Post by Cassie Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Water has a big role in my practice. I use it to “feed” spirits, make holy water, communicate with the dead and I incorporate it into almost all of my workings. There is a lot of lore surrounding spirits and water. My personal belief is that water can be used as a conduit to the spirit world and that it can be a source of energy for them. Based on personal experiences I know what I believe, but I never had a definite ‘why’. So when I read this passage from the bible something clicked.

Genesis 1: 6-8

"Then God said, ‘Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.’ God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below from the waters which were above the expanse, and it was so. God called the expanse heaven. "

This description of water above heaven makes sense to me in my practice. Having water on earth (the waters below) and in heaven (the waters above) makes sense as to why water can be used as a channel that spirits can travel through (I had always heard that leaving out bowls of water helps spirits travel through your home). So maybe this is why water can be used to draw down ancestors and saints that may rest in heaven to earth, because spirits can go through the waters of heaven to the waters of earth. Also this may tie into why earth bound spirits are sometimes referred to as “thirsty”, because they can’t reach the waters of heaven so we sate these spirits with the waters of earth… I am still pondering this idea and how it may fit my current beliefs about the connection between spirits and water, but I thought it was interesting.
Cassie
Cassie

Back to top Go down

Working with Water Empty Re: Working with Water

Post by NightCrafter Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 am

Very interesting point of view, Cassie. It is a beautiful practice and great testimony to your interaction and dealings with spirits.

I wanted to touch on the subject you brought up regarding "waters of heaven".

Most of us modern Pagans (witches included) have some type of experience with Christianity. I believe that the user of any and all Holy Book in Magick, ritual, and life in general makes one that much more capable.

However, we must keep in mind the essence of each book. What we know as the Holy Bible today is a collection of passages, letters, thoughts, and influences of various people of various faiths written of, to, or in accordance to a Higher Power. Being the Holy Book of the Christian faith, we must look at the contents through their understanding.

The term "Heaven" is used loosely in the Bible. In fact, the Bible expresses three heavens: what we know as the sky, outer space and the Heaven where God dwells.

The intended prose of said verse in Genesis was to distinguish atmospheres. The water of the earth and the water of the sky. The expanse of space and division of spherical positions among the earth.

In the time of being written, the authors of the Bible had a much more limited concept of what is, was and was to be. The belief of the the heavens was limited to the air we breathe, the sky tay hooks the clouds, and Heaven (were they presumed that the stars we celestial beings).

I'm not arguing that anyone is wrong, because it is foolish to say that anyone's beliefs are wrong (besides, I don't believe in right or wrong). I am, however, attempting to enlighten those who read your beautifully expressed blog, of the evolution of the mind.

To be able to know all this and see what you see on a metaphysical level is outstanding. Kudos, sister.

NightCrafter

Back to top Go down

Post by Cassie Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:30 pm

I love the phrasing of "waters above heaven" and that is an interesting point you bring up about the distinction of the meaning of the word. Reading into the bible that is one thing to keep in mind~intended meanings of words and understanding the way people who wrote the passages thought at the time it was written. It is something I'm trying to adapt to in going through the bible. Thanks for you input!
Cassie
Cassie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down